Windows Vista Beta 2

The "native-language" of your stand-alone computer.

Moderator: Software Moderators

Windows Vista Beta 2

Postby cmptch » Sun 2006 Jun 11 12:51

So I've just installed windows Vista Beta 2. It took about 50 minutes to complete the process. It seems to me like a hybrid Linux/Windows. Windows functionality with a KDE feel. I'm testing the functionality of it right now, so far it's not too bad. I didn't have the opportunity to test the first beta, but what I heard is that they M$ didn't provide very much functionality. Hopefully I'll have plenty of stuff to report back in the next few days.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Krank » Wed 2006 Jun 14 3:19

Well you and me both, downloading went faster then i expected, installing was just one click and it went on by its self, nice coffee break there:)

Now im in the process of getting to know it:)
How to make a Direct-X File

new system:
Gigabite p35 DS3R
Award software international, F11, 01-04-2008
Intel E8200 "wolfsdale" intel core duo
OCZ ddr2 pc2-6400 Gold kit, 4 gig.
maxtor hdd, 80 gig, ide
Peak Radeon HD 3850 512 mb pcie
Liteon dvd rom, ide
Fortron BlueStorm 500w
Windows xp pro sp2
Krank
Honored Achiever
Honored Achiever

Postby cmptch » Wed 2006 Jun 14 4:20

The least thay could have done was put a time remaining bar on it, you know? I miss that little guy!

After some messing around, I'm not sure whether I like it or not. Since there's no applications for it yet, I'm just going to go ahead and wait. In the mean time, I'm going to try FreeBSD.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Repr » Fri 2006 Jun 16 5:24

i liked the download. although it had a warning that it might take ages i was done in just under 35 minutes with the 32-bit version

the installation took ages (much coffee as well) and then it launched.....and it launched....and it launched (more coffee inserted here) and finally i was in vista. it seemed to run pretty stable and auto detected almost all my hardware, but it did give me the message that it was booting so slow becouse i didnt have the proper mobo drivers yet. so i installed them, looked around a bit and then i got BSOD (ow yea, still there). i havent been able to launch it ever since (more BSOD). still gotta reinstall it

the main problem is though that after running 30 minutes explorer.exe took over 600mb ram and was still rising. after restarting the explorer it was down to 15 but went up and up again like mad. hope new install will fix it
Repr
Posting Member
Posting Member

And im done with it....

Postby Krank » Tue 2006 Jun 20 3:01

I dont mind beta's...
I dont mind a sloppy pc due to a beta...

I do mind loosing over 200 gig due to a tottal system meltdown..." almost bill, just not quite yet..."
How to make a Direct-X File

new system:
Gigabite p35 DS3R
Award software international, F11, 01-04-2008
Intel E8200 "wolfsdale" intel core duo
OCZ ddr2 pc2-6400 Gold kit, 4 gig.
maxtor hdd, 80 gig, ide
Peak Radeon HD 3850 512 mb pcie
Liteon dvd rom, ide
Fortron BlueStorm 500w
Windows xp pro sp2
Krank