using internet

A barrier established to prevent unauthorized intrusion.

using internet

Postby Kawiill » Wed 2006 Jul 26 5:21

how can I not be at risk when a company or an ad adds new software to our computers how we can trust and decide and choose the one is not going to introduce virus or damage our programs if some help can be donate please return a formula for this. :cry:
Kawiill
Student Tech
Student Tech

Postby cmptch » Thu 2006 Jul 27 2:36

This is a topic that is simply easy to explain. Everyone is at risk. You even explained it yourself.

There is new software being produced daily that may be potentially harmful to your computer. My fiance, for example, installed a free utility to create Yahoo Instant Messenger Avatars(the little pictures by your name). This software is free because you are also required to install the MyWeb Desktop.

In my store, we have a saying: "You get what you pay for." In most cases, we do not recommend installing free software except for certain cases. There is a lot of great free software, on the other hand, there is more bad free software.

In some instances we have found that even ad-ware/spy-ware removal tools require you to install other ad-ware and spy-ware software.

Advertising is same story. There is a lot of good website advertising out there, but the bad outweighs the good.

The rule I use for free software is to only use open source software. Open source is a program usually written by a group not seeking a profit. It is termed Open Source because the authors share the source code with the user. I do have an exception, though. Spybot S&D and Adaware SE are a couple removal tools that are very good.

When you install software, it is good to read the EULA(End User License Agreement). There you will be able to see the warning signs for ad-ware.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Return to Firewalls and other protection.