Hard Drive Enclosures

Discussion of anything external to the main system case as well as those bits and pieces that are so often added after a system is purchased.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

Hard Drive Enclosures

Postby cmptch » Wed 2006 Jul 19 4:01

I am right now seeing for the first time an external enclosure that runs off USB power. I knew they were out there, but this is really cool. the Hard disk is a 2.5(or laptop). It doesn't require any external power at all. It's really neat.

You can get the enclosure for as low as like 10USD. The hard drives are a little up there, but for about 75USD you can get a decent 60 GB.

IT may be a bit bigger than a flash drive, but if it's storage size and portability you are going for, it's a great solution. Just toss it in you laptop bag. Throw it in with your repair kit and you have yourself a decent backup system for those onsite calls. For faster data transfer, you can get a 2.5 to Internal IDE adapter and hook it straight in to your motherboard. The adapters are only a couple dollars.

If your not into the DIY, I'm sure there's a pre-assembled one out there. I think I have a 10Gig drive at home, I may end up ordering one myself.

["enclusure" => "enclosure" - Spock]
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2006 Jul 29 7:27

One thing to consider when carrying hard disks about is that hard drives don't like being thrown about much, if you dropped it accidentily for instance.

Flash USB devices are more suited to being carried about as they do not contain any moving parts.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Return to Peripherals