Alexandre Dumas

Read a good book lately? Want to tell someone about it? Tell us about it here!

Alexandre Dumas

Postby cmptch » Wed 2006 Aug 09 8:40

I'm right now reading the Man in the Iron Mask. It is part of the D'artagnan Romances written, of course, by Alexande Dumas. It is a very intruiging story.

I was fortunate enough to have been hooked on Alexandre Dumas while still in Elementary school. Although I could only then get hold of an abridged version of the Three Musketeers, and later in Junior High another abridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo, became quite intruiged with his writings.

I do not read as much as I should, since I am now just finishing the last volume of the last book of the D'artagnan series.
The series is broken down into such:
Les Trois Mousquetaires (The Three Musketeers)
Vingt Ans Après (Twenty Years After)
Le Vicomte de Bragelonne ou Dix Ans Plus Tard (The Vicompte de Braggalone: Ten Years Later)*

*Most reffered to as Ten Years Later, it is commonly broken down into 3 or 4 volumes.

The 3 volume set is as follows:
The Vicomte de Bragelonne
Louise de la Vallière
The Man in the Iron Mask

The four Volume Set:
The Vicomte de Bragelonne
Ten Years Later
Louise de la Vallière
The Man in the Iron Mask

I own the first two books of the Trilogy and have read the remaining as e-books on project Gutenburg http://www.gutenberg.org/. For the final installment, however, I have checked the book out of a library.

The Count of Monte Cristo, I named my fiance's cat after the main character, became the first book of my Dumas collection. I have 3 versions of that book, and my favorite being over 100 years old.

I have read and own the final volume to the Valois romances:
Queen Margot (1845)
La Dame de Monsoreau (1846)
The Forty-Five Guardsmen (1847)

and hope to obtain as a series the compliments to the book I have, which was published in 1900 by Thomas Y. Crowell and Co. When you have an exact publication to find, it becomes hard to find the book. I'm not a book collector per say, but I do want to have complete sets.

Some day I will learn French for the sole purpose of rereading Alexandre Dumas in the Languge it was originally written. It has been a goal of mine since I first read Les Trois Mousquetaires 13 years ago.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Return to Books