Antique Books

Read a good book lately? Want to tell someone about it? Tell us about it here!

Antique Books

Postby cmptch » Sun 2006 Aug 13 4:34

I can hardly be considered a book collector, but I do enjoy the extreme beginnings of an antique book collection.

I am a fan of Alexandre Dumas, and I will hopefully have a very serious antique collection of his works to pass on to a neice or nephew someday. Currently, of Dumas' works, I have a collection of 2 books in 3 Volumes. The Forty-Five Guardsman in one, and The Count of Monte Cristo(very poorly translated) in 2 Volumes. Both are more than 100 years old.

The Valois Romances includes:
Queen Margot(La Reine Margot)
The Lady of Monsoreau(La dame de Monsoreau)
The Forty-Five Guardsman(Les Quartante-Cinq)

Hopefully soon I can have the first 2 within the years end. I am looking for these books published in 1900 by Thomas Crowell & Co. A complete set at the condition I desire is worth approx. 200-250 USD.

I will also be trying to attain 2 sets of the D'artagnan Romances next year. I require 2 sets because the final book, Vicomte De Bragelone:Ten Years Later is usually printed in 3 or 4 volumes. I want a set of each.
The Three Musketeers
Twenty Years After
The Vicomte de Bragelonne
Ten Years Later(This book does not appear in the the 3 volume set)
Louise de la Vallière
The Man in the Iron Mask

My favorite book is a collection itself. I have numerous copies(only one being old) of The Count Of Monte Cristo. Seeing the differences in the wording chosen by the translators is always an adventure. I sometimes turn to a bridged version and fill in the sometimes complete chapters that have been taken out.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby punkin8tor » Tue 2006 Aug 15 9:19

Wow! you have an interesting collection of books. I think that the oldest books that I have are a Louisa May Alcott (Little Women), a Hans Christian Anderson collection of fairy tales (which is the 4th reprint in 1948) and another collection of "Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know" edited by H.W.Mabie (which looks to be a first printing in 1914). I love books of all types! The only books that I am actively collecting are books by Enid Blyton. I finally finished collecting the entire Trixie Beldon Series.
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. I'm not so sure about the former." Albert Einstein.
punkin8tor
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Repr » Tue 2006 Aug 15 1:46

i myself dont collect old books, but my mother does. she isnt really collecting anything specific but she just thinks that the age is an extra charm for a book. most of the books ive seen arrive recently are from between 1800-1850. they are all from writers she used to love as a child or classics (she has a 1st print of jekkyl and hyde, 1st print in america that is) and lots of others

as for me, i still plan on buying an ancient bible some day. not becouse it is the bible since im not very religious, but an old bible (and i mean from 1400-1500 or something) just has some kind of aura of history around it. there is a bookshop near my school where they usually have 1 or 2 of those old bibles and whenever i walk past it i always peek in
Repr
Posting Member
Posting Member

Return to Books