My system is a dual boot

The "native-language" of your stand-alone computer.

Moderator: Software Moderators

My system is a dual boot

Postby Tarmithius » Fri 2005 Apr 29 6:20

I run a system that is a dual boot with Windows XP Pro on one disk, and one of the various linux flavors out there on another disk. I sometimes goes days before I switch to the other OS and then it will usually be a few more days until I switch back.

I guess I like having a little of both worlds, Windows and Linux, at my finger tips.
Tarmithius
Posting Member
Posting Member

Postby Spock » Fri 2005 Apr 29 6:54

I used to run dual boot systems but finally decided it wasn't worth the wasted space. Now I just have a single OS on any one computer ... I just have multiple computers set up so I can access the OS I want. [beg]

Of course, most of the older OSs are on older computers that wouldn't run a newer one ... [:?]
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Tarmithius » Fri 2005 Apr 29 8:58

I really go back and forth a lot also. I had a dual boot with Win2k and Mandrake, then I got a new hard drive and put XP Pro on it and that lasted a long time. I did eventually put Linux back on after running a live CD for a month, but in doing that I could not save my settings and got tired of reseting everything every boot, so I did an install.

I happy as of right now but may change my mind and take Linux off again.
Tarmithius
Posting Member
Posting Member

Dual Boot

Postby rainbo » Thu 2005 May 12 5:50

As I am working more on Windows based systems I don't have a Linux distro installed on my PC. Might do that in the future.

Right now I have a trible boot system with 98, 2000 and XP which runs perfectly if installed in their order of age (I heard that Linux can be installed at anytime). I use 98 to do harddrive checks on XP/2000 (pretty useless then?) and share files. This is a waste of space but who cares if you have another machine to use all the time.

I must say that XP is my favorite system as there's numerious software packages for it. XP offers the most administrative tools (mostly hidden away) and has an advanced scripting host engine (which makes advanced administration easy). I like Remote Desktop as I am admin for an XP machine some 650km away from my office.
rainbo

Re: Dual Boot

Postby Spock » Thu 2005 May 12 7:23

rainbo wrote:... Right now I have a trible boot system ...

AHA! Trouble with Tribbles! [beg]

Sorry, couldn't help the STTOS reference. I have a feeling you actually meant triple but, like me, have a dyslexic keybroad. [;)]
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Dual Boot

Postby Ben Last » Thu 2005 May 12 7:27

Spock wrote:Sorry, couldn't help the STTOS reference. [;)]

I remember that episode! -wasn't it great how they fell out of every cupboard... [mrg]
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Return to Operating Systems