Installing Solaris 8 on Sparc

The "native-language" of your stand-alone computer.

Moderator: Software Moderators

Installing Solaris 8 on Sparc

Postby Ben Last » Tue 2006 Jan 24 6:59

Hi, I was given a SPARC10 a while ago, which currently has SunOS 5.6 on it although it doesn't boot as various network connections are unavailable etc. so I downloaded the Solaris 8 install cd's from the Sun Site and burned the Install Cd ISO.

When typing BOOT CDROM, it attempts to boot but says :
"Short Read, Boot file might not be present"

What is likely to be causing this problem, I'm trying it using an old CD-RW which is rather scratched so would the error indicate a read error? Or another problem?

Any ideas?
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Wed 2006 Jan 25 12:39

Why not try using a new CD-R? They aren't that expensive and it would resolve whether or not it was the media.

I get my Linux downloads from http://linuxiso.org/

While they may not know specifics about the SUN OS, they woulod probably have a better idea that I would. They also may be able to point you in another direction where you can find help that will solve your problem.

Sorry I couldn't help any more. :(
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Thu 2006 Jan 26 11:31

Yeah, I think I'll try a new Cd-R when I get home. -I'll ket you know how I get on.

I have been to http://linuxiso.org/ before as I tried to download Suse for Sparc, but the links to the download no longer seem to work. Do you have this problem?

I don't really mind what OS I get going on it, I'd just like it to do more than sit and collect dust as it is currently doing!

Thanks.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Thu 2006 Jan 26 1:15

Ben Last wrote:... the links to the download no longer seem to work. Do you have this problem? ...

Yes, it cannot seem to find the DL file, probably because it's been discontinued. I only tried the main DL link. Did you try the mirror link?
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Thu 2006 Jan 26 7:57

I just looked at the mirror link and it just shows the link to the first download link.
I've re-burned the cd onto a cd-r and it boots ok now, I spent ages (all evening) waiting while it setup etc for it to tell me theres not enough disk space available, so I've got to change the hard disk and try again tomorrow!
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Fri 2006 Jan 27 12:13

Duh! Don't you just hate when that happens?

How big is the OS supposed to be that it won't fit on the HD? Or did you do what I tried to do initially ... install ALL the options! :O
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Fri 2006 Jan 27 8:29

On the default option I was way over, a gigabyte or more. I could have managed to install without the graphical interface, but I was kinda hoping for some nice graphics!

Well It's been installing for 6 or 7 hours, and it's finished.
...and it works!
I even managed to get it to connect to my proxy server and I'm having limited success getting it to display web pages through Netscape.

It's not bad, although the graphics aren't as good as Windows, plus I haven't got a clue how to use it!

It's interesting, but I'm not a convert just yet...
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Sat 2006 Jan 28 1:09

So I guess I was more help than I thought I would be. :)

How big a HD did you install to?
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Sun 2006 Jan 29 5:02

Yeah thanks.
I think the hard disk was around 2.5 Gb. Huge huh?!?
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Sun 2006 Jan 29 5:29

Ben Last wrote:Yeah thanks.
I think the hard disk was around 2.5 Gb. Huge huh?!?

Darn, if you lived a little closer, I could supply you with something a little larger ... shipping and handling from here to there would probably be more than the drive was worth. :(
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Wed 2006 Feb 01 6:21

Thanks for the offer, although the system has Scsi connections rather than IDE. I'm going to try and install Firefox on it, as the Netscape version supplied doesn't seem to display pages correctly.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Return to Operating Systems