HTML Programming for beginners 2 - Index Body

These classes are held in the Stanton Community Center in Annapolis, Maryland. They are free of charge to the students but are non-credit only.

HTML Programming for beginners 2 - Index Body

Postby Spock » Sat 2006 May 13 12:06

This program is a continuation of the main tutorial which can be found at HTML Programming for beginners.

I am setting up this topic so I can discuss the rest of the index program later. It seems most of the votes are going to discussing the Thumbnail program first, so will come back here when I'm finished with that.

For now, here is the rest of the Index program listing:
Code: Select all
</head>

<body>
   <div class="main">
   <center>
   <H3>Welcome to PCTalk's HTML tutorial</H3>
   <H5>Here we will use creating a page to display photographs as a means to help learn HTML.</H5>
   <H5>April 2006</H5>   
   </center>
   <p>&nbsp;</p>
   <p>
On 18 April 2006 Dave of <a href="http://www.digitalimaging-uk.co.uk/"><b><u>'digital imaging-uk'</u></b></a> convinced me to create a tutorial that would be useful to his forum members and entice them to learn something new. This project is the result.<br><br>

I will be setting this up as a pseudo website, in order to eventually cover much more than simply explaining how to create a photo display page. this example has only a single page link but it would be extremely simple to add as many more as you want.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<table width="100%">
  <tr>
    <!-- Left column contains all the ports of call and other major headings leading deeper into the document. Each is an actual link to other sections. -->
    <td width=25% valign=top>
      <H5><u>Page Links:</u></H5>
      <p><a href="Thumbnails.htm">Photo Thumbnails</a></p>
    </td>

<!-- Middle column contains explanitory text and inline links to special documents not necessarily related to the ports of call. -->
    <td width=70% valign=top><p>
This column is here to give expanded information about the links on the left. Don't like links on the left but want them on the right? Simple, just switch the contents of the two columns in their entirety. Don't forget to change the width of the table columns as well or you won't get the results you are after.<br><br>

The Thumbnails page will not be a grid of photos in a table since that would limit its lateral movement as you resize your browser window. Instead, it will be simple images shown linearly relying on auto-"word-wrap" to create succeeding lines of thumbnails. When I first started creating these pages I used to be very careful about having a certain number of thumbnails on a line until I realized I was limiting the flexibility of the display. Now each section is simply one long line of thumbnails which also simplifies reordering any pictures in the list.<br><br>

<a href="Thumbnails.htm"><b><u>Photo Thumbnails</u></b></a> contains the thumbnails for all the pictures in this project. To see any picture full size, simply click on the corresponding thumbnail.<br><br>

</td>

<!-- Right column is here simply to keep the text "on the page" as it were. -->
   <td width=5% valign=top></td>
   </tr>
</table>
<h2>All photo, even though displayed on this website, remaind copyright by the respective photographers. Please contact them directly if you wish to use their photos.</h2>
</div>

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
if (window.print) {
    document.write('<input type="image" title="Print This Page" alt="Print This Page" src="Graphics/printer.gif" onclick="window.print()">') ;}
//-->
</script><br>
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
if (document.write) {
    document.write('<b>Print This Page</b>');}
//-->
</script><br>

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
         document.write("Last Modified " + document.lastModified)
// -->
</script>
</body>
</html>
Last edited by Spock on Sat 2006 May 13 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Sat 2006 May 13 12:07

Code: Select all
<body>
   <div class="main">
   <center>
   <H3>Welcome to PCTalk's HTML tutorial</H3>
   <H5>Here we will use creating a page to display photographs as a means to help learn HTML.</H5>
   <H5>April 2006</H5>   
   </center>
   <p>&nbsp;</p>

The body of the program is sectioned into different areas, the main being the <div class="main"> which encircles almost the entire program. The reason for this is entirely so that the style sheet can provide the formatting for all the text.

<center> - causes everything after o be centered on the screen until it encounters the </center> 4 lines down.

<H3> - These are header tags. There are only six of them in sizes ranging from <H1> = largest to <H6> = smallest. They are all defined in the style sheet.

<p>&nbsp;</p> - This is an empty set of paragraph tags with a special non-blank space symbol to ensure it is processed.

All the above is simply the main title for the page that indicates what the page is supposed to accomplish, perhaps a date or series of dates, and maybe even who wrote the document. Think of it as a newspaper headline.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to MD-Annapolis-Stanton Center