USS Forrestal

This forum is for those of us who wish to post our memories of those close to us who have already passed on or are close to leaving us. Please read the Announcement before posting.

Note: I still need to transfer some of the posts from the old forum into this one.

Moderator: Spock

Forum rules
Please post only memories in a named topic. If you want to post Condolences please use a named Condolences topic.

USS Forrestal

Postby Spock » Sun 2006 Apr 23 5:40

I was in another forum today and reminded of some of the things that happened to me while I was on active duty. A portion of the post I made there is below. While I was not on the Forrestal during the fire, I was on it after they were repaired. If there is anyone who was onboard or involved in some way, I would appreciate hearing from them.

... I have been stationed aboard the USS Intrepid (CVS-11, mid 60's, smallest full aircraft carrier I've been on) and the USS Eisenhower (CVN-69, early 80's, largest carrier I've been on).

While on the Intrepid, our relief ship, the USS Forrestal, caught fire while in the Tonkin Gulf. Somewhere I have a picture of the grey sea with a grey sky over it and a thick streamer of smoke rising in the middle on the horizon.

I was also stationed aboard the USS Forrestal CVA-59 the year after it caught fire off the coast of Viet Nam. You could still smell roasted flesh in some of the crew compartments. :(

PLEASE, only post remembrances in this topic, no condolences. If you wish to post condolences, please make a separate topic just for that.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to In Memory of ...