Zonealarm Cause for Alarm?

A barrier established to prevent unauthorized intrusion.

Zonealarm Cause for Alarm?

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2005 Aug 13 8:12

I have been using Zonealarm for a while under Windows98 and have just installed it on a Windows 2000 machine.

However I keep getting lots of pop-ups via the messenger service. I don't really want to disable this service, but think it seems odd that my firewall is letting all this traffic through.
I will have to look deeper into the settings, but I also think that Zonealarm is let down by its annoying hard to use interface, that has buttons hiding all over the place.

Does anyone else have this problem?
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Sat 2005 Aug 13 11:20

I use Sygate Personal Firewall ...
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Sun 2005 Aug 14 7:29

I've just installed Kerio Personal Firewall.
I'll try and see how I get on with it, if not I may look at yours.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby iissmart » Mon 2005 Aug 22 8:24

Kerio is the best firewall out there.

The messenger service runs on a specific port, but if you block that port it would block every message, even the good ones. Unless your computer is part of a company network which uses the messenger service, you might as well turn it off because there is no real consumer application for the messenger service.
--iissmart--
iissmart
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2005 Aug 27 11:53

I have tried out Kerio and seem to be getting on well with it, so will stick with it for now.
Messenger seems to work through something called "Generic host process for win32 services", having blocked this on incoming the pop-ups have stopped.

It seems quite difficult to actually block a specific port though, it seems more that it lists the program and you block or allow that program. Is it possible to block specific ports in Kerio?
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby iissmart » Fri 2005 Sep 02 4:50

I'm not really sure actually. Wouldn't it be easier to just turn off the Messenger Service?
--iissmart--
iissmart
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Fri 2005 Sep 02 10:22

For those who don't know, the Messenger Service and MSN Messenger are two different programs. The Messenger Service should be turned off if you care about your privacy and security.

A lot of people use MSN Messenger but it can also be removed if you don't use it.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Lotussy » Thu 2005 Sep 22 8:29

I was using Zone Alarm when i first started going online.And later changed to Sygate and have been using it since.
So there is another better one out there...Kerio....ahhh...i shall go and check it out. [:)]
Lotussy

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2005 Sep 24 8:05

Kerio is worth looking at, it seems to be good - and has quite a lot of features including protection against your dial-up number being changed, and also if a program tries to open another program then a popup will ask you if you want to allow it or not.

Whilst the latter maybe a useful feature, it can become annoying at times, especially when installing software as it will ask you half a dozen times about the various parts of the installer.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby iissmart » Mon 2005 Sep 26 3:29

It's easy to turn off program blocking, just open Kerio and click on the tab named 'Intrusions', then uncheck the box next to 'Enable Application Behavior Blocking'...

Also, from what I hear, Kerio is discontinuing the production of Kerio Personal Firewall at the end of this year. A lot of people are confused by what Kerio has said, so don't take it as 100% accurate.

I would still recommend Kerio Personal Firewall to anyone who is looking for an advanced firewall with a simple, easy to use interface.
--iissmart--
iissmart
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Ben Last » Wed 2005 Sep 28 10:15

Oh right, thanks for your info.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Return to Firewalls and other protection.