Which is better?

Discussions related to entire computer systems; which are best to buy, to use, to scrap. Also, discussion of the internals of the system console including CPU, cooling systems, motherboards, BIOS, etc.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

Postby Spock » Fri 2006 Jun 02 1:54

cmptch wrote:On "modern" processors, L1 and L2 are built into the processor chip.

Do you have a link that explains this clearly? I need to see something in writing and experience it in some way before I can believe it and remember something different from the way I'm used to.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Fri 2006 Jun 02 3:58

Intel; Celeron; D Processor and Intel; Celeron; D Processor Overview
and look for this:
Intel wrote:Non-Blocking, full speed, on-die Level 2 cache

Intel Pentium 4 Processor Product Overview

Intel wrote:The 2-MB L3 cache is available only with the Pentium 4 processor Extreme Edition. The additional third level of cache is located on the processor die and is designed specifically to meet the compute needs of high-end gamers and other power users.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Repr » Fri 2006 Jun 02 7:19

cmptch wrote:I have 2 Weenie Whistles. each whistle blows at 2600 Hz(hertz), and produces 30db(decibels). If I were to blow both at the same time, I would have the same frequency(2600Hz), with a louder sound(60DB).

to translate into technical terms:
I have 2 processors. each processor runs at 66MHz, and can transmit 54 MIPS(Million Instructions Per Second).
Running A dual core, I would be able to process twice as much (108MIPS), at the same rate(66MHz).

although this is true, it doesnt change anything that when both cores would be maxed out it would be at 4ghz. you can say that you actually have 2 2ghz cores wich just increase the MIPS, but thats the same as saying when you got 1 4ghz cpu with the same amount of MIPS as 1 of the core. although i gotta admit that your statement is more true, the output stays the same
Repr
Posting Member
Posting Member

Postby Saber » Fri 2006 Jun 02 4:20

As to the original ? of which is better? I'm not sure there are a lot of games or software - if any that can really take advantage of the dual core or dual graphic cards systems? It seems to me a lot of the latest advances may have bigger down the road affects verses any perceptible improvement to our naked eye now? You sure have my curiosity going, and if anybody knows any benefits that can now be enjoyed by these new advances please post. :?
Seeker of Wisdom & Computer Knowledge :hypno:
Saber
Consulting Member
Consulting Member

Postby Spock » Fri 2006 Jun 02 10:58

Saber wrote:... I'm not sure there are a lot of games or software - if any that can really take advantage of the dual core or dual graphic cards systems ...

You are absolutely correct. The hardware and software developers aren't dummies. They tend to feed off each other. The hardware developers give us better and better hardware and eventually the software developers give us software that requires these new attributes to even run. It's a never ending cost cycle that does no real good for the consumer. :?
Last edited by Spock on Sat 2006 Jun 03 9:11, edited 1 time in total.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Krank » Sat 2006 Jun 03 5:05

True, the ting i do is this, to keep it nice, moneywise, i try to stay 1 step above average...
How to make a Direct-X File

new system:
Gigabite p35 DS3R
Award software international, F11, 01-04-2008
Intel E8200 "wolfsdale" intel core duo
OCZ ddr2 pc2-6400 Gold kit, 4 gig.
maxtor hdd, 80 gig, ide
Peak Radeon HD 3850 512 mb pcie
Liteon dvd rom, ide
Fortron BlueStorm 500w
Windows xp pro sp2
Krank
Honored Achiever
Honored Achiever

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2006 Jun 03 6:00

Hi, thanks for the replies guys, it makes a bit more sense now.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Previous

Return to Systems