ADSL Modem / Router Dilemma

Discussion of anything external to the main system case as well as those bits and pieces that are so often added after a system is purchased.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

Postby Luke » Sat 2005 Oct 22 11:05

Currently I have a 2Mb Broadband connection with a USB modem. However I need to share this connection, but I only have a router with ethernet connections. I could buy an ethernet modem for about £35, or a combined modem/router for £50, but I wondered if there was an easier (cheaper!) solution. I could buy a USB to RJ45 connector, although I'm pretty sure this will mean the USB modem will not work as it draws its power via USB; is this correct and does anyone know another solution?
Our freedom's consuming itself
What we've become is contrary to what we want
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Sat 2005 Oct 22 4:25

Does the USB Modem belong to you or your ISP?

If it belongs to your ISP, why not just ask them for a standard Ethernet Modem?
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Saber » Tue 2005 Oct 25 6:15

Can you split the USB to Ethernet and connect the Ethernet cable to the NIC in the computer you want to share it with?I'm interested in the correct or various ways you can do this too?Curious. Do we have an Emoticon for curious?
Seeker of Wisdom & Computer Knowledge :hypno:
Saber
Consulting Member
Consulting Member

Postby Spock » Tue 2005 Oct 25 9:32

Saber wrote:... Curious. Do we have an Emoticon for curious?

[?] [i017] [stupido2]

It is alway sbetter to go the most direct route as the more connections there are, the more chances there is for error. If most of your network is etheret, then you should try to use only ethernet equipment.

I guess if you don't have it, you could always ask the Etherbunny for it ...
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Luke » Wed 2005 Oct 26 9:21

The router was supplied by the ISP but it is the only one that comes with the package. I have looked up its specification and it does draw power from the PC's USB port.

Saber wrote:Can you split the USB to Ethernet and connect the Ethernet cable to the NIC in the computer you want to share it with?...

Interesting suggestion, but even if the splitter allowed a large enough signal through in the right direction to power the modem, still only one computer would be able to log on to the internet at a time. You could do the same thing by forgetting the USB-RJ45 connector and just splitting the USB cable to 2 PC's.

Spock wrote:It is always better to go the most direct route ... you should try to use only ethernet equipment.

I agree, I am going to buy an ethernet modem. I suppose a combined modem/router would be even more direct but I don't want to spend the extra £20 as I already have an ethernet router!
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Re: ADSL Modem / Router Dilemma

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Oct 26 3:40

Luke wrote:The router was supplied by the ISP but it is the only one that comes with the package. ...

Why don't you ask your ISP if it's possible to exchange your USB modem for an ethernet modem? The worst they can do is turn you down; the best is to exchange the modem.

If you don't ask, you will never know.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Luke » Fri 2005 Oct 28 3:15

They said that they can only provide a USB modem. They can only replace it if it is faulty, and only with another USB modem. :(
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Fri 2005 Oct 28 5:31

Doesn't sound like a very good ISP. :(

Perhaps if their USB modem started going bad several times a week ... }:->
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Luke » Mon 2006 Feb 20 2:40

This problem is finally resolved! I purchased an ethernet modem at 30 GBP, and nearly two months later finally have it integrated into my network. Other network users are pleased now we no longer have to take it in turns to use the internet!
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Mon 2006 Feb 20 4:16

Thanks for the update. :)

Too bad your ISP is such a d**k. }:-<
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin