No USB?

Discussion of anything external to the main system case as well as those bits and pieces that are so often added after a system is purchased.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

No USB?

Postby Lester » Wed 2006 Jun 21 1:35

Would like to turn on my USB. Do I go into bios? Win 98 and then where? :) Thanks. I'm here.
Help Stop Pollution and Waste
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Wed 2006 Jun 21 2:36

If your computer is capable of using USB, then BIOS is prbably where you will find the option to enable it. Since I don't know which BIOS you use, all I can recommend is to just go in and look.

Of course, you must also have USB ports available. If the motherboard doesn't have any connection, you will have to purchase a USB expansion card. It look like any other expansion card but has USB ports on the back plate.

Hope that helps. :)
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Wed 2006 Jun 21 7:01

yes, it is generally in the bios. Some motherboards also require USB drivers for win98, so you may have to check that out as well.

ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258773/EN-US/

If you are running An AMD processor (running at 350 MHz or faster), and a VIA Technologies USB controller then you may be having a timing-specific problem in the Universal Host Controller driver (Uhcd.sys).

ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q240075/

Those articles are a reference point only! They may be hard to understand, so let us know if you get confused. I basically summed up all the info the pages(which I have been through several times).
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Lester » Tue 2006 Jun 27 8:13

No success yet. No exclamation point in manager for USB. Flash drive still doesn't work but it works in all other computers so we know flash is OK. May I ask this. My small digital camera works from the USB but the flash won't. Does that help diagnos? :(
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby cmptch » Tue 2006 Jun 27 8:30

Lester wrote:No success yet. No exclamation point in manager for USB. Flash drive still doesn't work but it works in all other computers so we know flash is OK. May I ask this. My small digital camera works from the USB but the flash won't. Does that help diagnos? :(

What's the specific model and manufacturer for the flash drive. I can look up some information on it to help out.
If you know the hardware is good, then we need to be looking into the software. If your running 98se or below, chances are that you need to get drivers for it.

When you plug your drive in, what does the system do?
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Lester » Wed 2006 Jun 28 7:47

Thanks, I just downloaded the driver from PNY attache and its in My Doc but still does not recognize. The drive icon is not present under My Comp. Lost :roll:
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby cmptch » Wed 2006 Jun 28 8:26

could you let me know the exact model? I think I will be able to help you out more that way.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Wed 2006 Jun 28 8:32

Also, where did you get the drive? Just because it says PNY doesn't mean it really is. It may be a fake.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Krank » Thu 2006 Jun 29 3:10

Maby this helps; http://www.about-usb.com/usb-flash-drive/usb-flash-drive.htm

Mind you i have no idea what it does to your system, so plz be carefull and backup your stuff before proceding.
How to make a Direct-X File

new system:
Gigabite p35 DS3R
Award software international, F11, 01-04-2008
Intel E8200 "wolfsdale" intel core duo
OCZ ddr2 pc2-6400 Gold kit, 4 gig.
maxtor hdd, 80 gig, ide
Peak Radeon HD 3850 512 mb pcie
Liteon dvd rom, ide
Fortron BlueStorm 500w
Windows xp pro sp2
Krank
Honored Achiever
Honored Achiever

Postby Luke » Thu 2006 Jun 29 6:23

Lester wrote:Thanks, I just downloaded the driver from PNY attache and its in My Doc but still does not recognize. The drive icon is not present under My Comp. Lost :roll:

If this is the correct driver, you need to install it before it will be recognised. Make sure if it is a compressed file, eg *.zip it is extracted.

What happens when you plug in your flash drive?

If nothing happens you will need to go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, then open "add new hardware". If windows detects the drive, you will need to specify the location of the driver files, probably "c:\my documents\" if this is where you downloaded the file to.

If windows does not detect the flash drive, you will need to choose "select new hardware from a list" then when the list of hardware types appears choose "other devices", click next, then click "have disk" and type "c:\my documents\" (or wherever you downloaded the driver to) as the path, you should then be able to select your hardware in the "models" list and click next to install.
Our freedom's consuming itself
What we've become is contrary to what we want
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Ben Last » Fri 2006 Jun 30 7:26

I have a PNY USB memory stick, I had no probs installing mine for use with Windows 98.

I downloaded the drivers from PNY's website, as a self extracting file (.exe).
I seem to remember that on running the file nothing was displayed, but the driver files were extracted to 'C:\Temp'.

Then when I connected the drive to a USB port the 'New Hardware Detected' wizard appears at which point I chose to specify a location, pointing it to C:\Temp. It should then find and install the drivers.

Hope this helps.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Lester » Sun 2006 Jul 16 8:19

Didn't mean to take so long. Frustrated. :pchamm: Device Manager tells me USB is working properly and there are no yellow !. Since Manager tells me it's working does that mean it is installed properly? Still, I don't have a way to access it. There is no icon in my computer to open it. The manufacture PNY is not on the list of selections in the Wizard. Could this be the problem? Thanks
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Sun 2006 Jul 16 8:48

Why not bring it to class Monday night and we can investigate it together? It may simply be that you aren't looking in the right place.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Lester » Fri 2006 Jul 21 9:47

We did and came to the conclusion a hardware problem exits even though the camera works in the USB. Can anyone explain why? :?
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Sat 2006 Jul 22 2:57

It may be that the USB drive is simply too advanced for your old computer. Do you know if your computer (and your drive) is a USB 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0?

I cannot imagine why your computer would recognize the camera and not the USB Drive but we proved that other computers in the class had no troubles with it. It may simply be that we did not find the correct driver for the drive.

Why not post the driver information that we found and tried. Perhaps someone else will be able to find one that works.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2006 Jul 29 7:22

Does anything happen when you connect the USB drive?
Wizard, or hard disk activity for example?

It would seem very odd that one USB device works fine while another doesn't, it might be that the USB drive is faulty? Have you tried the drive using another computer?
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Sat 2006 Jul 29 7:41

The drive works perfectly with other computers. I have a feeling that the driver isn't the one we need for his computer.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2006 Jul 29 7:46

When I first connect my PNY-Usb drive to my Win98 computer it pops up with the New Hardware wizard whichs asks for the driver...

Is this occuring?
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Sat 2006 Jul 29 8:53

Yes but it doesn't seem to accept anything we offer it which is why I say we must not have the correct drivers.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Lester » Sat 2006 Jul 29 9:41

Why not post the driver information that we found and tried. Perhaps someone else will be able to find one that works. http://pny.com/support/drivers/?prod=attache Flash says 512M. Used this one and think it's correct. Don't know how to tell if USB 1or2 is in my comp. Anyone know how?
Ben and Cmptch, Thanks. Thats where it stops. The wizard does not come up and ask or appear and no recognition in my comp. Would at this point just like to understand why if possible. :shrug:
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Krank » Sun 2006 Jul 30 5:53

Since i dont know the whole setup of your computer i thought i just post the link i found wih might help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263218/en-us

I am saying it like this since i found:

Universal Serial Bus (USB) devices that are connected to a Windows 98 Second Edition-based computer may not work if both of the following hardware components are installed on the computer:
• An AMD processor (running at 350 MHz or faster)
• A VIA Technologies USB controller

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240075/en-us

according to both these articles, it could be anything from cable's to the flashdrive itself, minus obviously the things you tried out in class...

i suggest reading it through and if you cant get it solved post here i and really start digging:)

[true => through - Spock]
How to make a Direct-X File

new system:
Gigabite p35 DS3R
Award software international, F11, 01-04-2008
Intel E8200 "wolfsdale" intel core duo
OCZ ddr2 pc2-6400 Gold kit, 4 gig.
maxtor hdd, 80 gig, ide
Peak Radeon HD 3850 512 mb pcie
Liteon dvd rom, ide
Fortron BlueStorm 500w
Windows xp pro sp2
Krank
Honored Achiever
Honored Achiever

Postby cmptch » Sun 2006 Jul 30 2:59

Spock wrote:Yes but it doesn't seem to accept anything we offer it which is why I say we must not have the correct drivers.

This reminded me of an Apacer flash drive we have in the store. Windows 98se and Windows ME has an issue with it; the correct driver is not recognised. There can be several issues.

Motherboard: Do you have the chipset drivers? Does your motherboard require a non-microsoft USB Driver? IRQ settings.

Windows: Sometimes Windows simply has no clue. As a second to last resort, specify the driver for the device. If it doesn't work, uninstall the driver, or you may have future problems.

To determine the USB version of the computer, you will have to look up either the model of the unit or the motherboard.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Repr » Mon 2006 Jul 31 12:01

cant you just say what motherboard you got? then one of us can surely find how and where you can turn it on exactly
Repr
Posting Member
Posting Member

Postby Ben Last » Mon 2006 Jul 31 3:36

You could try connecting the device to your pc and then running the 'Add New Hardware Wizard' in Control Panel to see if this will find your device.

You could also try downloading the drivers from the Europe site I used for my Pny device, this link takes you to the download area for flash drives.

http://www.pny-europe.com/uk/support_at ... rivers.asp
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Lester » Wed 2006 Aug 02 5:09

Repr wrote:cant you just say what motherboard you got? then one of us can surely find how and where you can turn it on exactly

We looked into that RP and concluded the USB enumerator was definetly on. Need to know what a USB enumerator is now? TY
Last edited by Lester on Wed 2006 Aug 02 5:21, edited 1 time in total.
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Next

Return to Peripherals