Website Design

General discussion on how to create or maintain a website. Different site creation tools and editors may also be discussed here.

Website Design

Postby Spock » Tue 2005 Apr 05 5:26

I'm in the classroom doing some research, so needed a place to put some sites I've found until I can explore them better and add them to our Links page. Meanwhile, user beware!

Searching under "website design".
Killer Sites - Web design articles, tips, and tutorials.

Website Templates - Commercial site allowing you to view different website templates and purchase what you like.

Website Design Professionals - Commercial site that offers to create your website for you.

Great Website Design Tips - Free tips and tricks.

Website Animal - Commercial program to create websites.

Heck with this, let me search under "free website design"! Be aware of the fact that there are probably a lot of ads.
Free website templates - from Jimworld.

CreateAFreeWebsite - online website builders, program downloads, and free hosting information.

Free website design tutorials

High Tech Ministry - Free website design for churches.

Hoover Web Design - Free (for personal use only) website templates.

Free WebSite Design Software - Article pointing you in the approximate direction you may wish to go.
Last edited by Spock on Thu 2005 Apr 28 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Tarmithius » Thu 2005 Apr 28 8:09

One of the best places on the net to get information on web standards and tutorials is:
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium).

These are the people that make up the standards for the various web languages like, HTML, CSS, XHTML, XML...
Tarmithius
Posting Member
Posting Member

Postby Icy » Wed 2005 Dec 28 6:08

I have looked at the links you posted Spock and done my own search on website designing. There are many different options out there. Has anyone had experience using any programs like these? One of my first questions is: some of the more affordable sites limit your traffic. How much traffic would 10 kb be converted into people visiting the site?
Last edited by Icy on Thu 2005 Dec 29 12:21, edited 2 times in total.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Dec 28 6:36

icy wrote:... How much traffic would 10 kb be converted into people visiting the site?

Not very much at all. This site isn't very active and I probably have at least 1+ GB of traffic a month.

If they give you 1 KB free and charge for anything over that, you can just about determine that you will end up having to pay something.

[Added]
I just checked and my traffic so far this month is 2% of the total allowed 80 GB which works out to something like 1,600 MB. How much would you have to may for your site under those circumstances?
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Icy » Thu 2005 Dec 29 12:20

I don't know yet what they charge if they allow you to go over your traffic allowance. Here is one of the sites I'm considering: http://powweb.com/PowWeb/OnePlan/Detail

It looks like they allow 10 gigs a day, 300 gigs a month, free support, 30 money back guarantee, plus other features. Of course I would call them to verify what all is really included.

I have looked at 30+ sites offering a website builder and have not found a truely affordable site yet that appeals to me w/ e-commerce.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Thu 2005 Dec 29 6:48

I'm paying $6.95/month for my host but I have to pay for 2 years at a time to get that rate.

And I don't have to put up with any ads from the host on my site.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Icy » Thu 2005 Dec 29 9:45

Here is an interesting, looks to be free download for website building. Has anyone heard of BlueVoda?

http://www.bluevoda.com/download.htm
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Thu 2005 Dec 29 10:17

They must be fairly new, google only had 117,000 hits when I searched on "bluevoda".

The information seems legit, why not give it a try?
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Icy » Thu 2005 Dec 29 10:24

I'm looking at all my options at this point. I doubt BlueVoda offers quick support if I run into problems.

I need the easiest, most economical site, and host.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Thu 2005 Dec 29 10:30

Why not go with a free site temporarily until you make enough to pay for a better site? If you create your own website and keep the master copy on your computer there should be no problem with switching hosts.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Icy » Thu 2005 Dec 29 10:35

A free site doesn't offer e-commerce or quick support. I'm willing to invest $20.00 or less a month for tech support, good size bandwidth and storage.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Thu 2005 Dec 29 11:13

Then why not go with the host I've been using? You have to pay up front but most hosts require that.

For 2 years it's $6.95/month.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Icy » Thu 2005 Dec 29 11:24

Does your host offer a website builder? If so, would you post a link please.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Thu 2005 Dec 29 11:53

icy wrote:Does your host offer a website builder? If so, would you post a link please.

Yes it does and I already posted links to my host in Website Hosting where we were talking about this same subject.

Click on one of the links and take a look at what they offer.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Icy » Thu 2005 Dec 29 11:58

Ahh...I thought I had seen it in this thread but couldn't find it. :O Thx.

[Added]

Ok, your host doesn't offer a web builder program. I have narrowed down my choice to these two sites I believe.

http://www.citymax.com/host/page/851.htm
http://powweb.com/PowWeb/OnePlan/Detail

I will call both of them to confirm services offered.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Return to Web Development