My New Website

General discussion on how to create or maintain a website. Different site creation tools and editors may also be discussed here.

My New Website

Postby Icy » Sun 2005 Apr 17 5:55

Here's a link to my new website under construction... http://www.weaselden.com/diablo-deals/index.html . I have hired a brilliant co worker to develop it. We are in no hurry to complete it. We are doing this in our spare time. Look to seeing it completed in a month or so.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby punkin8tor » Tue 2005 Apr 19 11:57

well, looks cool so far. What type of deals will you be offering?
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. I'm not so sure about the former." Albert Einstein.
punkin8tor
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Icy » Tue 2005 Apr 19 11:14

The site will offer items (character gear) for the game Diablo II LOD. This is mainly a hobby for my husband and I.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Icy » Fri 2006 Jan 06 9:35

My website project has been dropped by my brilliant co-worker :x . Needless to say my top link to the site no longer works.

I have downloaded BlueVoda website building program to work on my project myself :) :O .

I have absolutely no experience at designing a website. After downloading BlueVoda, I see I'm going to have a great challenge ahead of me. The program looks great for someone who has beginning knowledge of website design. It looks foreign to someone with no knowledge :?. I will set up my home page here for anyone interested in my progress.

Spock could you please move this thread to “Web Development”.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Fri 2006 Jan 06 9:46

icy wrote:... could you please move this thread to “Web Development”.

I could but I thought that's where it was. :i017:

Best of luck in creating your own site. I think you wil find it isn't as hard as you had thought else I wouldn't have my own site. ;)

BTW, I hope you got a copy of your co-workers first attempt before it went away. Once you learn a little, you could use it as the basis for the rest ...

I have this much but thought you had progressed beyond that.

[Added]
I just checked domains. It looks like Diablo-Deals.com is gone but there are many other domain types available. I hope you are the one who got Diablo-Deals.com and not your co-worker. :?

[Added2]
Ah good, I see you are the owner:

Domain Name.......... diablo-deals.com
Creation Date........ 2005-04-12
Registration Date.... 2005-04-12
Expiry Date.......... 2006-04-12
Organisation Name.... Kimberly *****
Organisation Address. *****
Organisation Address.

Admin Name........... Kimberly *****
Admin Address........ *****
Admin Address........
Admin Email.......... *****
Admin Phone.......... *****
Admin Fax............

***** = I removed the information, No need to publish it too much but now I know where to stalk you and Tony! }:->
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Icy » Fri 2006 Jan 06 12:12

Spock wrote: I have this much but thought you had progressed beyond that.

You are a genius Spock! Thank you for saving a copy of the site. :)

Spock wrote: ...now I know where to stalk you and Tony! }:->

Hehe...like I would worry about you stalking us }:->.
Guess I'll have to look into how I can keep most of that personal information private. :?

[Added]
I have just saved a copy of the site to my computer.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Fri 2006 Jan 06 12:50

icy wrote: ...Guess I'll have to look into how I can keep most of that personal information private.

There is a way but you have to pay extra to have your contact information removed. Think of it as an unlisted phone number. You have to pay extra for that with the phone company as well. :(

icy wrote:... I have just saved a copy of the site to my computer.

Is it now safe for me to remove it from my site? If I remember correctly, I put it there when you were thinking of using my site as your host.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Icy » Fri 2006 Jan 06 2:11

It looks like it saved as a link. Please hold it here for the time being. I'm still open to where to host my site. Right now I'm building a test index page. I'm trying to figure out how to post it here.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Fri 2006 Jan 06 3:15

Any website pages you build must be hosted on the internet in order for anyone else to see them.

Does your ISP offer you some free web hosting?
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Icy » Fri 2006 Jan 06 3:19

Yes. I'll look into it.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Icy » Sat 2006 Jan 07 9:44

I found out some information. For $9.00 a year I can have a private domain listing. I have been researching this website stuff for hours on end. It never ends. Here are some questions I asked on BlueVodas pre sales forum, take note of question #3:

Q 1. Do you offer a money back guarantee if I'm not able to get the site up?

A 1. No

Q 2. Do you offer a free trial? :)

A 2. Yes, download our software. Play with it until you are happy and feel
comfortable. Take your time (No Rush) When your ready, sign up. We
will be here.

Q 3. If I did leave BlueVoda hosting, would I be able to take the site elsewhere?

A 3. Yes

Q 4. I will more and likely be working on a notebook with very limited memory. Will that be a problem with what I would need to DL to create a decent business website?

A 4. Hopefully none

Q 5. Is there any business restrictions I need to be aware of hosting with BlueVoda?

A 5. Please click the link below to review our terms of service.

http://www.vodahost.com/tos.htm

Q 6. Is it possible for someone with no website building experience to build a professional website with your program?

A 6. Yes, we have helped thousands of novices build fantastic websites.

Found this in the help area on BV. I found out you can not host a BlueVoda site anywhere but with BV.

In order for you to take your BlueVoda built website live on the internet.
You will need to have a VodaHost web hosting account.

VodaHost does not offer free web hosting and you can only use BlueVoda
with a VodaHost web hostng account..

Currently we are offering……

6000 MB Disk Space on our brand new Dell PowerEdge Servers and
300 GB Monthly Data Transfer. This is the equivalent to having
a website with 500,000 pages with over 1,500,000 visitors per day…..

Over all their services seem good compared to other companies. The price is under $10.00 a month or under $8.00 if you pay annually w/ free domain name. Their support forums have been great so far. The Moderators don't make you feel stupid if you ask a noob question. They have tutorials but I find them lacking a lot if you have no experience building a website.

I have managed to start my "index" page but I have a long ways to go. This is not as easy as they claim. I plan on utilizing their forums to my full advantage (look out BV). I'm stuck on how to create links on my home page and I need to come up with some decent original graphics. I have DL Gimp for my graphics but find it very hard to use plus the help option is empty. I get an error "check my DL". I have DL it twice but have the same issue. The good part is all the programs I’m using have been free.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Icy » Fri 2006 Feb 17 9:24

After working on developing my website for a few weeks with BV, I have found out the program is not easy for someone who knows nothing about building a website. When I went to their support forum, I was given a link to the same tutorials that I had already viewed many times, in other words, not enough support for me to even add hyperlinks to my website.

The good thing is I learned a little more about website building plus I found a very nice, easy to use picture resizer program for free to DL. I have decided not to use BV.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Fri 2006 Feb 17 12:08

You could have gotten the same type of software here on this site. :|
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Web Development