PHPBB and Domain issues. Apache. Educative.

General discussion on how to create or maintain a website. Different site creation tools and editors may also be discussed here.

PHPBB and Domain issues. Apache. Educative.

Postby cmptch » Sun 2006 May 07 1:28

I was having issues some time ago with a sort of portal system called EzPortal on a test board. (I set up a domain specifically for me to test stuff. I need to ensure that everthing will have the exact same conditions.)

The education is as follows:
I need to load portal.php instead of index.php
I have both an index.php and a portal.php
The URL is simply the domain name.

The server is an Apache Server, hosted by netfirms.
I could not use a DirectoryIndex directive. (mod_dir) it is not allowed by my web host.
I know that index.php is the first to load, and as far as I know there is no other way of change the indexing priority.

If I used the REWRITE ENGINE (mod_rewrite) than I would load the portal.php as a replacement of the index.php, and my forum index will not display.

I set up forwarding pages for all index type pages, and came to the conclusion that index.php had absolute priority over all others.

My Solution:
I created a directory within my domain for my forum. example: opendevsource.net/forum/
I setup a mod_rewrite to send opendevsource.net/index.php to opendevsource.net/forum/portal.php

***I'm done now***
If this is hard to understand, let me know so I may clarify the post. My thought process tends to be very difficult to follow. I used to dream in basic, you know.
cmptch
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Sun 2006 May 07 3:02

I taught myself Basic back in the early 70's and used to dream first in FORTRAN IV and later in dBase/Clipper.

If I understood correctly, you simply set your index.php to execute your portal.php whenever it was invoked.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Sun 2006 May 07 3:38

basically yes.
I actually had to invoke a different directory to acheive the goals I wanted.

and you also must get as bored as I, being up this late.
cmptch
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Sun 2006 May 07 12:38

cmptch wrote:... and you also must get as bored as I, being up this late.

Actually, I seem to work around a 36 hour day. As long as I get at least 6 hours sleep I'm ok though but my "day" does tend to rotate somewhat.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: PHPBB and Domain issues. Apache. Educative.

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2006 May 13 8:10

cmptch wrote:I used to dream in basic, you know.

Hey, nice to see there are some others who know BASIC, I started out with QBasic and have since moved into Visual Basic and have also been building a website using ASP.

ASP or Active Server Pages for those who don't know is a scripting language based on BASIC for creating dynamic webpages, it's pretty cool and well worth a try.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby cmptch » Sat 2006 May 13 9:03

In High School I took Visual Basic. The problem was I already knew it, So I spent my time in class learning Java/Java Script(there was no 1.0 designation at the time. Then I got into a networking class, and decided that I liked harware better than software. Since then I've pretty much forgotten how to program.

Now I'm trying to learn PHP, without knowing too much about html. It's definately a task.
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Postby Spock » Sat 2006 May 13 10:03

cmptch wrote:... without knowing too much about html. ...

Why not take a look at the HTML Tutorial I'm trying to put together for my next HTML class? It might help and you might be able to help me make it better.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby cmptch » Sat 2006 May 13 10:10

I'm already preparing to do that. "Mamma didn't raise no dummy!"
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Return to Web Development