Should I Give UP On This Comp??

Discussions on Software that do not yet fit into any of the current Software fora.

Moderator: Software Moderators

Should I Give UP On This Comp??

Postby Lester » Fri 2009 May 29 12:24

Had a good run with it with few problems but now the Blue screen of death on start up. Seems to go half way through boot and die. I tried going in safe mode and the same. Did everything I know. Don't have an orginal disk or a strart up disk. Win 2000 with about 50 hotfixes. Always wondered what would have happened if I had deleted them. Didn't do that though. I was in love :rose: until that happened. Anything else I can do with it? Create a project if needed or recycle time? Really do need it. Sincerely, BW
Last edited by Lester on Sat 2009 May 30 10:59, edited 3 times in total.
Help Stop Pollution and Waste
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Re: Should I Give On This Comp??

Postby Spock » Fri 2009 May 29 7:31

The ChesapeakePCUsersGroup refurbishes donated computers. For an $80 'donation' you can get a much newer computer with a more up-to-date operating system.

Or, you could go to their workshop with your old computer and they may agree to reload Win2K for you.

Whether you decide to get a new one or see if they can help fix your old one, the workshop is where you would go.

Hope that helps.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Should I Give UP On This Comp??

Postby Lester » Sat 2009 May 30 11:12

I've been there few times and enjoyed. Thanks. Might go with a Refurbished Dell which a friend has had for 2yrs and no problem and saved lot money. What is funny is that got it going again somehow and then tried to defrag which has only been 2mths ago and this time it said; Defrag is not possible after it started to analyze. Tried it twice and the same. Is there a way to explain why a defrag would not complete it's cycle? Is there a corruption in the OS possibly or could one be in the hard drive or all of the above?
Help Stop Pollution and Waste
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Re: Should I Give UP On This Comp??

Postby Spock » Sat 2009 May 30 4:25

Lester wrote:... Is there a way to explain why a defrag would not complete it's cycle? ...

Perhaps there is not enough room left on the harddrive to complete the process. Perhaps if you deleted some non-essential data or uninstalled some unused programs it will start behaving itself ...
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to General SW