VB.Net

Discussions on Software that do not yet fit into any of the current Software fora.

Moderator: Software Moderators

VB.Net

Postby Spock » Thu 2005 Mar 03 3:51

I have been learning about VB.Net programming. If there are any VB.Net programmers out there, please post here so we can cross-pollinate. :twisted:
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Thu 2005 Mar 03 8:46

Can you tell me what the difference between usual VB and VB.net is?
I assume it's the same but you can validate your users with .net - am I correct?
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Thu 2005 Mar 03 10:05

VB.Net, as near as I can determine is Visual Basic Version 7. They just got tired of using the version numbers I guess.

It also uses Visual Studio as the development environment in common with C++.Net, ADO.Net, ect, etc.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2005 Mar 05 8:20

Oh right, M$ seem to dislike using version numbers these days, they use something daft like the year, or a random string of characters like 'XP', or 'NT'.

I'm currently having to do a Access database for my studies, it's a library system - well I hope it will be when it's finished! Were having to use VBA to check/upadte values in the tables etc. I think it may start to get a bit complex, but hope I can get it going. Got all the tables in and have started coding, but after managing to delete all my code by deleting a form I didnt want and spending even longer putting it all back in again..... :O
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Sat 2005 Mar 05 8:33

Ben Last wrote:... after managing to delete all my code by deleting a form I didnt want and spending even longer putting it all back in again.....

That's why I periodically create new versions and make complete copies of everything I've done. If I wipe something out I simply reload to the last saved version and continue from there. ;)
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2005 Mar 05 8:39

Yeah. I had even thought, I should make a backup now, just in case... then I decided I'd just do a bit more and promptly deleted it! Oh well.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Sat 2005 Mar 05 8:45

Ben Last wrote:... I had even thought, I should make a backup now, just in case...

That is usually my instant indication that I need to do an immediate backup. :~

I've done what you did enough times to know better now. ^_^
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2005 Mar 05 8:59

Spock wrote:That is usually my instant indication that I need to do an immediate backup.

Yes, hopefully I'll learn, but knowing me I'll do it again not so far in the future!
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby MythicalMe » Fri 2005 Mar 18 5:02

Hi everyone,

I wanted to chime in on this topic. Visual Studio .Net (and by inference VB.Net) is not a "next" version of Visual Studio 6. Instead is based on a totally different concept, that of managed code. The code management is done through the .Net framework. Basically that means that a control or class written and compiled in VB.Net will operate just as efficiently if used in C++, C# or Visual J++.

Further, libraries written in managed code do not need to be registered as COM objects. In fact, the .Net framework does a lot of the grunt work by providing a CLR (Common Language Runtime) environment.

I've been writing code for the .Net framework for about a year. Writing new controls is a snap compared to what is required in the COM environment.

The biggest challenge is XML. XML is fundamental in data handling for .Net. I've got a good handle on it now. It seems to me that if you want basic data structuring and you don't need the Oracle or SQL behemoths that this is the way to go.

These are just a few random thoughts.

MythicalMe
MythicalMe

Re:

Postby Coolbreeze » Wed 2008 Jul 16 7:05

Ben Last wrote:... Got all the tables in and have started coding, but after managing to delete all my code by deleting a form I didn't want and spending even longer putting it all back in again...

How do you restore information you deleted and put it on the desktop as an icon.
Coolbreeze
Member-in-Training
Member-in-Training

Return to General SW