Which Programs?

Discussions on Software that do not yet fit into any of the current Software fora.

Moderator: Software Moderators

Which Programs?

Postby Lester » Mon 2006 Apr 17 7:47

Can anyone help me understand the process in determining which program to use to open a file and which one to choose? The files are usually preceeded by that backards flag. Example: Scandisk.log or Cdedib.dll
Help Stop Pollution and Waste
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Re: Which Programs?

Postby Spock » Mon 2006 Apr 17 9:08

Lester wrote: Can anyone help me understand the process in determining which program to use to open a file and which one to choose? The files are usually preceeded by that backards flag. Example: Scandisk.log or Cdedib.dll

.dll = Dynamic Linked Library. You do not open those or do anything to them or your computer may stop operating in usually a catastrophic manner. They are generic program libraries used by many different programs to perform common functions.

.log = a log file the format of which will vary depending upon which program wrote it. If I want to see the contents I will try to open it with Notepad but will not save it. Sometimes you can see useful information, usually there is nothing intelligible to a normal user or even a standard technician that would be of any help.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Lester » Wed 2006 Apr 19 9:32

That helps but let me ask another way. How do I know which program to choose when asked; Which program do you want to open this file? Or how do I know which one will work?
Help Stop Pollution and Waste
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Wed 2006 Apr 19 11:43

Lester wrote:... how do I know which one will work?

You don't unless you have experience or you have a list that shows a specific program is used to open a specific file. Many times I don't know, so I will try different programs until I find one that works or I decide not to bother.

I know there is a list of data file extensions available online. We may even list it under the Links section. I will try to find it for you later.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Spock » Thu 2006 Apr 20 1:00

OK, found it right off as soon as I had time to look.

http://pctalk.info/pages/links_educatio ... #Reference

The link to click on is FileExt.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Which Programs?

Postby Saber » Fri 2006 Apr 21 12:26

Hi Lester, If you don't happen to have an internet connection, I think you can even print out a general list to have w/ you in case. Also, some A plus books have a page or two of listings. There may even be an updated bklet. on the Mkt. too, that you can get a hold of to use? There are quite a few ext.s and it can take some trial and error to locate an opening. Good Luck, Saber 8-)
Seeker of Wisdom & Computer Knowledge :hypno:
Saber
Consulting Member
Consulting Member

Re: Which Programs?

Postby Spock » Fri 2006 Apr 21 2:52

Saber wrote:... There are quite a few ext.s and it can take some trial and error to locate an opening. ...

That's an understatement. Using 4 characters as a given (well there is the .html extension!) we have 26 letters in the alphabet plus 10 numbers plus other legal characters ! @ # $ % ^ & ( ) - _ + = space for at least an additional 14.

In fact, the only ones you cannot use are \ / : * ? " < > or |

Let's see now 26 + 10 + 14 = 50

If each of the 4 places can take on any one of 50 values then you have 50 ^ 4 power of possibilities ...

50 * 50 = 2500

50 * 50 * 50 = 125000

50 * 50 * 50 * 50 = 6,250,000

Yes, I would call that quite a few. :O
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to General SW