IRQ conflicts

Discussions on Software that do not yet fit into any of the current Software fora.

Moderator: Software Moderators

IRQ conflicts

Postby Colonia » Wed 2006 Sep 13 5:28

what would happen if one of my nic is using the same IRQ or I/O address as the other and how do I solve the problem
Colonia
Student Tech
Student Tech

IRQ ANSWER

Postby Kawiill » Wed 2006 Sep 13 6:25

FIRST YOU HAVE TO KNOW THE IRQ That is empty and have each nic separated.
Kawiill
Student Tech
Student Tech

Postby Ben Last » Thu 2006 Sep 14 6:16

Some devices can share IRQ's, normally when you turn your pc on a list will appear before Windows loads that shows a list of devices and what device is using which IRQ.

You can pause the pc to give you time to read the screen by pressing Pause/Break. To un-pause then press escape.

On my computer this is the case, you may however be able to view the same data using the BIOS.

Also if there is a problem with your current configuraton then take a look in Device Manager. Any devices which have a problem such as conflicting IRQ's will be displayed with a yellow triangle containing an exclamation mark.
Find device manager by right clicking my computer, selecting properties.
Then select the Hardware tab, and choose Device Manager.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Thu 2006 Sep 14 8:37

Ben Last wrote:Some devices can share IRQ's ...

This is only true for computers with a PCI bus. Admitedly, that is all the modern computers and many older ones but some ancient computers that are still being used will not allow more than one device per IRQ.

My students already know this but as part of their "final" they had to post a Tech question and this was one of them. ;)
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to General SW