Lost USB Ports?

Discussions on Software that do not yet fit into any of the current Software fora.

Moderator: Software Moderators

Lost USB Ports?

Postby Lester » Sun 2007 Apr 08 1:20

Went in Safe Mode and lost 2 USB ports. Device Manager indicates problem with red :rcu: symbol. Clicked on driver and it said; "No driver present in the library." What could have happened to it? My favorite toy quit. Friend told me to delete it. Now I only have 1 left that doesn't work. Big mistake. It disappeared :xplod: all right. Would reinstall SP 3 possibly restore it? Win 2000
Help Stop Pollution and Waste
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Ben Last » Fri 2007 Apr 20 2:54

Try going into Device Manager, open the properties on your USB ports, goto the Driver Tab, and try clicking Update Driver to reinstall the driver.

If that doesn't work try uninstall on the driver tab, then restart and it should re-find the hardware and install the drivers.

Or if you have some driver software you could try reinstalling it.

Also there is a service pack 4 for Windows 2000.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Lester » Sat 2007 Apr 21 9:45

Thanks, Did all that and still no port for USB. Only Com 1 and 2 and LP. No USB port exists in Device Manager for me to access. That's 1 part of the problem and again the red error circles still present. Installed SP 4 and no change.
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Sat 2007 Apr 21 2:40

Lester wrote:... No USB port exists in Device Manager for me to access. ... and again the red error circles still present. ...

If no USB ports exist, then to what are the red x's attached? Where are the USB ports attached? Are they part of an expansion card or are they plugged into the motherboard? In either case, shut down your computer and physically disconnect and reinsert them several times to clean off any possible light corrosion that may have built up. After reconnecting everything, turn your computer back on.

THEN open the device manager, delete the USB ports with the red x's and shut down your computer again. Restart your computer, let it find the USB ports,and check in the Device Manager to see if you still have problems.

If you do, disable the ports where the red x's occur and purchase a USB expansion card to plug into an expansion slot.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Lester » Sat 2007 Apr 21 8:50

In Device Manager USB does't exist under Ports where I thought It be. Don't know if it was there before I had trouble or not. When I go to Removable Storage then click on Physical Locations is when I have the red error on USB. So now I did delete the last one and rebooted and still no USB port available. No problem with flash drive or connection I'm sure. Yes the port is on the motherboard so at this point I see what your saying about installing a new USB card. Would reinstalling the restore disk work? Hand me down comp so don't have the disk anyway but would like to know.
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Sun 2007 Apr 22 1:48

If it just happene, and deleteing the problem in Device manager desn't help, then having an install disk probably wouldn't help. The Universal Serial Bus Controllers should show up near the bottom of the list.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to General SW