D Drive 100% filled up

Discussions on Software that do not yet fit into any of the current Software fora.

Moderator: Software Moderators

D Drive 100% filled up

Postby Kospa » Mon 2007 Sep 10 7:00

Looking for help, in less than 6 months of limited home usage my d drive, the recovery drive, was filled up. I keep getting a flashing error message on the taskbar from Norton Security. Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how to stop the error message by correcting the problem. :pcbang:
Life is only a dream in the old age phase of my destiny, so far??
Kospa
Member-in-Training
Member-in-Training

Re: D Drive 100% filled up

Postby Spock » Mon 2007 Sep 10 8:41

Glad we were able to figure out what your problem was with the forum. :doh:

I understand from our discussion in class that your daughter "helped" you by compressing your D drive. That is generally a bad thing. Your D drive is your recovery disk and should never be accessed unless there is a problem with your C drive. As I explained, it might help to think of it as an inflatable life raft on a large vessel. The life raft (d drive) is never to be touched unless there is a problem with the main vessel (c drive).

I have done a little research and have found others have had the same symptoms after they created a series of recovery CDs based on their D drive. Did you or your daughter create any recovery CDs?

For anyone else wishing to take a shot at helping, you need to list some of your system information. Please give us at least the following:

Manufacturer: HP
Make of Computer:
Model of Computer:
Date purchased:
Amount of RAM:
Size of C drive:
Bytes remaining on C drive:
Size of D drive:
Bytes remaining on D drive:
Operating System: Windows Vista/Home
Security Software installed:
What is the exact error message you are seeing?

If others reply to this, they may request additional information. At this point, based on the fact that someone whose qualifications I don't know has done something to your Recovery drive, I would recommend getting in touch with HP and asking them to send you a set of recovery disks. When they ask you why, explain to them what the problem is, they may have a simpler solution that we are able to come up with.

It is always better to have too many good solutions than not enough.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Kospa » Fri 2007 Sep 14 10:52

This problem has now been resolved. The "full" D drive was in fact, not quite full but was as it should have been.

My question about disappearing email accounts was also answered. :oops:
Life is only a dream in the old age phase of my destiny, so far??
Kospa
Member-in-Training
Member-in-Training

Postby Ben Last » Sun 2007 Sep 16 3:04

Hi, I would say that compressing a recovery volume would indeed be a very bad idea, as I would be unsure if any recovery software you may use to recover in the event of not being able to boot would be able to access the compessed volume. Prehaps someone else may know.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Return to General SW