Driver Genius

Discussions on Software that do not yet fit into any of the current Software fora.

Moderator: Software Moderators

Driver Genius

Postby Saber » Mon 2008 Feb 25 6:35

Has anybody used Driver Genius or any freeware Driver update software that they would recommend? Saber :geek:
Seeker of Wisdom & Computer Knowledge :hypno:
Saber
Consulting Member
Consulting Member

Re: Driver Genius

Postby Spock » Mon 2008 Feb 25 7:06

At a cost of over $35, I think a cheaper solution is available than Driver Genius. Then again, I've never used it, so cannot speak to anything other than price.

Don't get me wrong, if you do not have your original disks or know how to get updated drivers for free, then it may be the best thing going for you but I am a pack rat and keep literally all the software driver disks for everything I've ever bought. If it didn't come with a disk, then I made copies of any updates for drivers before I installed them.

Before you pay for something you may not need, why not try to find any needed drivers online?

DriverZone - Free Driver Downloads.

DriverGuide - a massive database of drivers, firmware, and support documents.

Google search on "driver" - 352,000,000 results for driver!
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Driver Genius

Postby cmptch » Tue 2008 Mar 11 1:38

I, for one, wouldn't use software of that nature. The best method, in my opinion, is go out and find the software on the manufacturer website. Or, as Spock pointed out, Driverguide for those pesky hard to find driver for the older units.

Then there's always the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Some newer hardware software are resource hogs...When you try to get your unit to run better, it can make it slower. I don't update drivers unless I know it's going to help. But if everything runs like a gem, I don't touch it.
cmptch
Master Achiever
Master Achiever

Return to General SW