Tellafriend.Trojan

Please post here if you receive any contact you later find to be invalid. This forum is hidden to non-members but please do not include any of your own contact information!

Tellafriend.Trojan

Postby Spock » Mon 2006 Jun 19 9:40

Original Poster: Ddraigcoch
Originally Posted: 2003-02-24, 2:41 pm

Tellafriend.Trojan was created by ZeroPopUp. Once installed, Tellafriend.Trojan sends an email message to all the contacts in your Windows and Microsoft Outlook address books directing them to download them to download the installer from the host's website. (For the program to be installed, you need to agree to install it by clicking Yes when you see the dialog box shown below.)

Tellafriend.Trojan is installed by an installation package that you download from the ZeroPopUp Web site. An ActiveX control initiates the downloading of this package, and the download may begin as soon as you open the ZeroPopUp home page. However, for the program to be installed, you need to agree to install it by clicking Yes when prompted to install Pop Up Killer.

If you click Yes, the installation package will install these files:

Tellyourfriends.exe (This is the Trojan program).
Zeropopup.inf (This is the setup information file).
Zeropopupbar.dll (This is the Internet Explorer toolbar designed to prevent pop-up windows).

Once the files are installed, the Tellyourfriends.exe file will execute and send an email message to all the contacts in your Windows and Microsoft Outlook Address Books. The email message contains a link to the ZeroPopUp Web site.

The message is:

Subject: Hi, I thought you'd be interested in this !
Hi, Don't you hate those annoying Popup Windows when you're surfing the Web?

Well i just installed this free ZeroPOP toolbar on my browser, It will Kill ALL Annoying Popup Windows.
I use it myself and thought you should too.

Best of all i'ts FREE !
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Scams, phishing, and other malicious acts