What is Gmail?

Post information and/or questions here that are Internet or Network related but have no better place to go yet.

What is Gmail?

Postby Spock » Tue 2005 May 03 12:07

Gmail is a combination of Google Email. Right now they are in Beta test and are allowing a growing number of "select" users test the system for them.

Right now there is a large number of available Gmail "invites" at a website called isnoop, so go take a look if you want one.

I tried to find a single page that gave some pertinent information about Gmail but was only able to find a Gmail tour. Take a look to see if you think it interesting or useful.

If anyone has any additional comments, please post them here for the rest of our users, especially if you find that single information page I was looking for. [;)]
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Tarmithius » Tue 2005 May 03 8:25

Gmail is Google's free email system like Hotmail or Yahoo, the biggest difference though is the size of your inbox, mine and everyone else's is 2GB of space. You never have to throw anyway any email for a long while. Couple this with Google's search capability and you have a winner.

The spam filters are some of the best and since I have had my account I have not had any spam.

If anyone wants a gmail invite just PM me, I have 50 or so to give away.
Tarmithius
Posting Member
Posting Member

Postby Spock » Tue 2005 May 03 1:08

I have over 100 I can give to my students. The problem is right now you need an existing Email address to get an invite to sign up for Gmail. Most of my students not only don't have email addresses yet, some don't even have computers [:(] ... yet. [;)]
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Tarmithius » Tue 2005 May 03 1:15

Okay no problem, just thought I would throw that out there. I keep trying to give my invites away, but they keep coming back. [:O]

There are services out there that you do not need to sign up for to receive emails. The first one that comes to mind is: http://www.mailinator.com

The site is self-explanatory, for clarification though, say you want an invite. You write Spcok or myself a PM with a sort of fake email like mailto:myinvite@mailinator.com then you go to the site and sign in using the name: myinvite. It brings you to the inbox of that email, which is created on the fly and deleted within a few days. Basically it is a throw away email address.
Tarmithius
Posting Member
Posting Member

Postby Ben Last » Tue 2005 May 03 1:19

To be honest, although I have a gmail account, and it seems ok.

The amount of space is really completely unnecessary in my view as I have only ever filled Hotmail's previous 2Mb once, and think that for most people sending text only emails that such space is not necessary.

Although saying that the interface seems use-able, and is void from large flash animated ads which seem to plague hotmail these days. Instead text links are displayed on the topic of your email.

Here is link to the Gmail information page, where you can read about Gmail:
http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Tue 2005 May 03 1:29

Ben Last wrote:...Here is link to the Gmail information page, where you can read about Gmail:
http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html

Thanks Ben. That's the page I was looking for.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to General Internet and Networking