Help with renewing computers.

Post information and/or questions here that are Internet or Network related but have no better place to go yet.

Help with renewing computers.

Postby Lester » Thu 2005 Jun 09 9:33

Hi, I need to learn the actual process of uploading to a server and then downloading to a new computer. I've read the dummies books but need the actual steps and why these steps are taken. Can anyone direct me to a more detailed process and do I need any more specifics? Sincerely, Lester
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Thu 2005 Jun 09 10:23

If I knew why you wanted to know that information I might know an easier way.

Why do you need to upload to a Server and then download?
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Lester » Sun 2005 Jun 12 9:01

Hey Spock, the Board of Education is getting all new computers and if I knew how to do it, the company installing them said; they would give me a chance to help with install. They have established a list to perform the process but I'd like to understand what the individual steps mean and why and where the info goes to and from to load to the new computers. So I have to follow their steps and I thought there may be some info or a book or something I could study. Thanks Sincerely, Lester [:)]
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Sun 2005 Jun 12 9:15

Lester wrote:... They have established a list to perform the process but I'd like to understand what the individual steps mean and why and where the info goes to and from to load to the new computers. So I have to follow their steps and I thought there may be some info or a book or something I could study. ...

OK, now I need to know what steps are going to be performed and are all the computers going to be hooked into a network or are they going to be stand-alone (probably the former if they are going to the Board of Ed).

I will be more than happy to help you understand the process and get you started but I need to know how they plan on implementing the upgrade.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Lester » Sun 2005 Jun 12 10:12

How they plan to implement the upgrade, I don't have a clear understanding of. I have a list of 150 steps to follow some very routine,many I don't have a clue [:O] . I'm sure a few classes could be made out of this I was thinking. At this point I only have a few clues as to the implementation. 1. Map Network Drive 2.Access Snap Server 3.Double click on Copy USMT.BAT 4. Double click on Scanstate File. I'm sure you would understand more if you could see the list. And yes I'm sure into the network. Best I could do so far. [:)] Hope to see you, I'll be practicing in the lab. Let me know how much help this is. Thanks, Lester
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Mon 2005 Jun 13 2:11

I will be going into class a bit early Monday if you want to meet me there. I could then show you how to "Map a network drive".

It's really quite simple. You use Network Neighborhood to find the Host computer and then the shared drive you want to access.

In Windows XP (which is what I'm running at the moment) you then select from the Client computer Menubar "Tools\Map Network Drive..." and it will offer you a popup window where you can set the simulated drive letter and, if you want, you can choose to automatically reconnect at each login to the network.

Once a Network Drive is connected this way, you can treat it as a local drive on the Client computer. Obviously they have a series of programs that are to be installed on the Client from the Host.

"Copy USMT.BAT", as can be seen, is a batch file that you could look at using notepad if you wanted to. When you double-click on it, it will start executing the lines of code one at a time, thereby performing most of the bulk data transfer in a semi-automated manner.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Lester » Mon 2005 Jun 13 6:42

Thanks for offer to see you in class. I'll be there at 1:00pm studying and can't tell which day or days yet. I'll just look for you before class to ask you if you can look at this list with me and tell me if you might know what I could do to learn the steps and what they mean. There are so many steps I can't ask you to go over them unless you might decide to create a class. Thanks for explaination of these points. Lookin forward. [roll] Sincerely, Lester
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Return to General Internet and Networking