Copying URLs vs.using links in regard to security

Post information and/or questions here that are Internet or Network related but have no better place to go yet.

How do you use links in your e-mail?

Do you use links in your e-mails w/o thought?
50%
Do you use links in your e-mails with careful thought?
33%
Or do you copy and paste to an outside browser?
17%

Total votes : 6

Copying URLs vs.using links in regard to security

Postby Saber » Tue 2005 Oct 25 7:29

Is it true that if you are in your e-mail and you get any e-mail w/ a link embedded, that it is better to copy the link and open in a general browser? Does that apply also when your within a Forum,bulletin board,etc...?My spam went up a good bit recently,and the only thing I've done different has been to check links from my Gamesspot and other newsletters?Thanks,Saber :O
Seeker of Wisdom & Computer Knowledge :hypno:
Saber
Consulting Member
Consulting Member

Postby Spock » Wed 2005 Oct 26 1:59

I usually never open a link in an email unless:

1. I know the sender, and

2. I am expecting to receive a link from them.

Then I just click on the link in the email. Usually, I simply look at the contents without opening the email, copy down the actual link for any advertisement they have, and add it to my Garbage block.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Icy » Wed 2005 Oct 26 4:35

Spock wrote:I usually never open a link in an email unless:

Same here.

I have never heard of a safe way to open a link other then the normal virus protection and anti spyware. I use yahoo anti spyware on my tool bar for free and haven't had a problem yet...*knocking on wood*.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Saber » Sat 2005 Oct 29 4:54

icy, Yahoo wants to charge me to upgrade for protection? How do you get it for free? Thanks,Saber 8-)
Saber
Consulting Member
Consulting Member

Postby Icy » Mon 2005 Oct 31 12:05

Yahoo offers anti spyware free on their tool bar: http://toolbar.yahoo.com/

What upgrade are you looking at?
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Spock » Mon 2005 Oct 31 5:35

I find this particular for of this poll to be objectionable in that it is misleading. I have no problem with the topic, just the poll itself as it may give new users the wrong idea.

It's obvious that more are voting than have posted as only 3 different users have posted, I never voted for either current option, yet there are 4 votes in the poll. I feel that this topic is dangerous enough that I would appreciate it if anyone who votes would also post their reasons for voting in the way they did.

Saber: Would you mind either modifying the poll to give the additional options discussed here or remove it altogether?
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Mon 2005 Oct 31 8:01

Hi guys, I usually copy and paste rather than just click an email link. Although this is usually because otherwise it opens in IE as its default, rather than Firefox.

It's a good security point though and one others probably aren't aware of.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Icy » Mon 2005 Oct 31 9:55

I voted I use my email link. I don't use it without thought though. Like I posted earlier, I don't open an email if I don't know the sender.
Icy
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

poll removal

Postby Saber » Tue 2005 Nov 01 4:13

Spock, I tried and it would not let me remove the poll. Please feel free to remove.The posts are more important and get the point across.T.Y. Saber 8-)
Saber
Consulting Member
Consulting Member

Postby Repr » Mon 2006 Feb 13 2:47

i always just open the links. without firefox asking me to download anything i trust it wont download anything. and i also run ani-spyware at least once a week so im not to worried at all

Ben Last: do you use outlook express or something? becouse since i put firefox on defaul browser i never get a IE window, except for msn (microsoft programs :( )
Repr
Posting Member
Posting Member

Re: poll removal

Postby Spock » Mon 2006 Feb 13 4:25

Saber wrote:Spock, I tried and it would not let me remove the poll. Please feel free to remove.The posts are more important and get the point across.

It wouldn't allow me to remove it either, so I added another option which should have been there to start. I suppose I could try moving all the posts to a different topic ... :?

No, because that would leave the original behind. I guess we all need to think through any topics we want to add polls to so we don't have this problem again. :p
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Tue 2006 Feb 14 6:52

Yeah I sometimes use outlook express, but am moving away from it now. I haven't yet made the complete switch of setting my default browser to firefox.

It always annoys me however how especially in Hotmail how the link will always open in a new window. I end up highlighting the url and copy, pasting it into the address bar so it opens where I want it to.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Repr » Wed 2006 Feb 15 5:54

Ben Last: since you like firefox, you might want to try other mozilla programs. mozilla thunderbird is a program similar to outlook express but not from microsoft, so it shouldnt give you problems with launching IE. i also liked it better in usage then outlook back in the time i used that kinda programs. its free to download from http://www.mozilla.com
Repr
Posting Member
Posting Member

Postby Ben Last » Fri 2006 Feb 17 11:52

Thanks for that suggestion, I had heard of it before but I have never got around to trying it, I'll try and download it and give it a go.
Another thing I found annoying with Outlook Express was that you could not easily backup your existing folders & emails without using a 3rd party tool.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Fri 2006 Feb 17 12:16

Ben Last wrote:... you could not easily backup your existing folders & emails without using a 3rd party tool.

I regularly back mine up using copy and paste ... :roll:
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to General Internet and Networking