Transfer Rate Problem?

Post information and/or questions here that are Internet or Network related but have no better place to go yet.

Transfer Rate Problem?

Postby Lester » Sun 2006 Feb 12 5:01

Can't listen to net radio; think speed is too low.
I got it Thurs and Wed and coundn't Fri thru now.
Transfer rate was 28kbps while I am trying to listen and 53kbps while it was working OK Wed.
Did I anwser my on question? Is it because of full useage and or slow transfer rate or would more memory help? What causes such a wide range of the rate ? 14kbps to 53kps was the highest I've seen. I'd like to listen and surf. Can I do it with W98se or should I concentrate on updating comp and obtaining XP ? And can I reuse recent PCI modem and sound card in new comp? :)
Last edited by Lester on Mon 2006 Feb 13 4:56, edited 1 time in total.
Help Stop Pollution and Waste
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Sun 2006 Feb 12 10:03

The difference in speed can be attributed to many things. The biggest, as I mentioned in class, could be due to dirty connections in the phone company-to-house wiring block. There could also be slightly corroded connections in your computer. Try cleaning the card edge connectors.

Since any Internet connection goes through multiple relays between you and the host, it may be that your computer is routed through a particularly slow link. The only way I know of to solve that problem is to log off and log back in. This terminates the current link path and institues a new, hopefully faster, path.

Any time you do more than one thing, it will slow everything down marginally. If you need to listen to online radio, then don't do anything else or get a faster computer. Windows98 is not renowned for its speed. :?

You should be able to at least listen and browse using Win98. More memory may help but your connection speed is probably your biggest problem. If you get a new computer it will probably already have a modem and sound card installed.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Krank » Mon 2006 Feb 13 5:56

On tip though, if possible dont trow any old parts of the computer out.
If needed stack em up in a box on the addict or something for the time beeing.

I did and a couple of years later i had enough to rebuild a system from the old parts i had, wich got to far and now i have four...;)
How to make a Direct-X File

new system:
Gigabite p35 DS3R
Award software international, F11, 01-04-2008
Intel E8200 "wolfsdale" intel core duo
OCZ ddr2 pc2-6400 Gold kit, 4 gig.
maxtor hdd, 80 gig, ide
Peak Radeon HD 3850 512 mb pcie
Liteon dvd rom, ide
Fortron BlueStorm 500w
Windows xp pro sp2
Krank
Honored Achiever
Honored Achiever

Postby Repr » Mon 2006 Feb 13 2:43

also keep in mind that during prime time (fryday - sunday and between 8pm and 10pm) all connections are slower then at other times. especially on dial-up this can be a huge difference

as for win98 - xp, it shouldnt make a difference. the transfer of 28kbs is neglectable compared to any process that runs in background, and normal IE surfing doesnt take much of your computer either. so getting a faster computer wont work. and although win xp is a bit mroe efficient in memory usage, the program alone takes more computer power then good old 98
Repr
Posting Member
Posting Member

Postby Lester » Tue 2006 Feb 14 11:10

Repr,I thought that was a possibility about prime time useage. I wanted to confirm that and to make sure I was working on the correct problem. Will work on cleaning phone connections when I can get to it and will report the results. Running 37kbps at the moment Tues. 9:45pm. Trying to figure out what range I need to be in to operate the internet radio and possibly surf when I have enough speed. All I have right now so have to deal with it. :|
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Repr » Wed 2006 Feb 15 5:50

after thinking about it i think it will always be hard to listen to internet radio with dial-up. a normal song is about 64kb/s minimal. check most mp3's and youll see that that the bitrate is. im not sure what bitrate internetradio uses for broadcasting, but i doubt itll be much lower then 50. with a 56k modem that means that you need close to the max speed of your dial-up modem alone for listening to radio.

im not 100% sure about this, maybe someone else can confirm it. but im pretty sure that on dial-up its hard to get a stable radio connection
Repr
Posting Member
Posting Member

Postby iissmart » Wed 2006 Feb 15 7:14

The one radio station I listen to on the internet (which is an actual copy of what they are playing on the radio, at real-time) streams at 32 Kbps.
--iissmart--
iissmart
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Lester » Wed 2006 Feb 15 8:08

Thanks for :help: , I have a better understanding now of the ranges.
Iis, Does the station play at the same time as on the radio or is there a delay?
And tell me if I should post this somewhere else. Where do I go to begin to learn more about how all these bits turn into the same sounds that where generated and then produced by a computer? How do bits turn into sound?
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Wed 2006 Feb 15 9:12

The sound card in your computer contains two special chips. One, the Analog-to-digital converter, converts sound from your microphone or other input device into digital signals the computer can understand and use for output.

The other, a digital-to-analog converter, changes a digital sound signal from the computer to an approximation of an analog sound signal. This => Link <=, while talking about CD players, should give you an idea how the computer does the same thing.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Luke » Thu 2006 Feb 16 9:26

Lester wrote:Does the station play at the same time as on the radio or is there a delay?

There will be a delay when listening to a radio station over the interenet. An (analogue) radio doesn't have to process the signal it recieves, the actual radiowaves generate the current that is amplified and makes the speakers in the radio work. With internet radio, like digital radio, the signal is encoded at the radio station, which takes some additional time. (The time the signal takes to reach you will be longer too as it will be routed by several servers) When your computer recieves the signal it will "buffer" it, that is store it in memory, and then it will read it from the buffer as it plays. Some radio stations broadcast their digital signal a couple of seconds ahead of their analogue signal to minimise the delay, but it will always be slightly out depending on your distance from the station, your connection speed, and the speed your computer can access the memory buffer.
Our freedom's consuming itself
What we've become is contrary to what we want
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby iissmart » Thu 2006 Feb 16 5:47

Lester wrote:Iis, Does the station play at the same time as on the radio or is there a delay?
I just tested it, and the sound from my computer is delayed by a good 2-3 seconds compared to the real radio.
--iissmart--
iissmart
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Fri 2006 Feb 17 12:10

iissmart wrote:I just tested it, and the sound from my computer is delayed by a good 2-3 seconds compared to the real radio.

Isn't that called stereo!? }:->
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Lester » Fri 2006 Feb 17 6:47

Thanks for delay explanation :music1: and will study CD's.
Last edited by Lester on Fri 2006 Feb 17 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Luke » Fri 2006 Feb 17 7:02

Spock wrote:
iissmart wrote:I just tested it, and the sound from my computer is delayed by a good 2-3 seconds compared to the real radio.

Isn't that called stereo!? }:->

I thought that was when you turn the radio on while the wife is talking...
Our freedom's consuming itself
What we've become is contrary to what we want
Take a bow
Luke
Supreme Achiever
Supreme Achiever

Postby Lester » Fri 2006 Feb 17 10:55

Let me get back to definition a min. Is this defined as bit speed or bit rate or bit tranfer rate or streaming bit rate or all of above? Would any of these have been more accurate for a topic?
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Fri 2006 Feb 17 12:11

They all refer to how fast information is transferred from one computer to another, so your Topic Subject is fine.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Lester » Fri 2006 Feb 17 10:34

Say the bit rate stream is 40kbps. Am I to presume this is serial transmission because of two wires through dial up? Is it bits for serial since there is 1 circut? Bytes for parallel since we need 8 circuts?
Just need a confirm.
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Sat 2006 Feb 18 12:41

All Internet communication is perforce serial communication since no single phone phone-lines use more than 2 wires.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Sat 2006 Feb 18 7:46

Lester wrote:Is it bits for serial since there is 1 circut? Bytes for parallel since we need 8 circuts?
Just need a confirm.

Is isn't necessarily bits for serial and bytes for parallel, if I remember there are 8 bits in a byte, and 1024 bytes in a kilobyte, and then 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte.
When referring to the speed of a connection you might say it is 40kbps, this simply means you can send or recieve 40 kilobytes of information every second.

I think I'm correct but I'm sure Luke will know. Hopes this helps.
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Spock » Sat 2006 Feb 18 8:35

Ben Last wrote:... I think I'm correct but I'm sure Luke will know. Hopes this helps.

You are correct. It just goes to show how fast those single bits are transmitted and received when you realize that, even with dial-up, you can possibly receive up to about 53 KB per second!

Or is it Kb per second? Will have to look it up. If it's 53 KB that would work out to be 53 x 1024 x 8 bits per second. If it's 53 Kb that would only be 53 x 1024 bits per second.

KB = Kilo Bytes
Kb = Kilo bits
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ben Last » Mon 2006 Feb 20 8:00

I think it's kilobits a second, ie 56kbps.

If it was 56 kilobytes a second you'd download a megabyte relatively quickly, which would be out of character for dial-up!
No trees were harmed in the construction of this message, however many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Ben Last
Consulting Ambassador
Consulting Ambassador

Postby Lester » Mon 2006 Feb 20 9:44

Spock wrote:All Internet communication is perforce serial communication since no single phone phone-lines use more than 2 wires.

Clear on all that but don't you need eight wires for parallel transmission to transmit one byte?
Luke--- Luke--- Luke :help: (Changed circuts to wires)
Last edited by Lester on Wed 2006 Feb 22 8:10, edited 1 time in total.
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Mon 2006 Feb 20 10:26

Lester wrote:... don't you need eight circuts for parallel transmission to transmit one byte?

Quit trying to show off your knowledge, especially when it's not that complete yet. :O

Internet comm is Serial meaning one bit is transmitted at a time but it is stored in a buffer until there are 8 bits whereupon it is shunted off into byte land and the buffer starts loading the next 8 bits. That's not 8 circuits.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Lester » Mon 2006 Feb 20 11:08

Not showing off just trying to be clear. :nerd: Shunted off to byte land? Does byteland transmit in parallel? Sounds like byteland :) is in memory somewhere, is it?
Lester
Plus Achiever
Plus Achiever

Postby Spock » Tue 2006 Feb 21 1:26

Probably, yes. It depends upon what the CPU is doing with the data. In any case, there are multiple types of memory. Some even that you wouldn't normally consider memory ... such as buffers. ;)
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Next

Return to General Internet and Networking