Mix and matching Hardrives?(IDE & Sata)

An area to post about any hardware problems you have questions about.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

Mix and matching Hardrives?(IDE & Sata)

Postby Saber » Fri 2008 Jan 25 3:40

I've got two Ide HD's in one of my computors I'm refurbishing and noticed it has Sata connectors on the MB. Well I got a few Sata 300/type 2 HD's at 300 GB's for 70+ $ and wondered if I wanted to add one to the 2 ide's it would work okay together w/ the ide's? Or would it be better to take advantage of the Sata 2 HD to just replace the existing ata's w/ the new Sata 2? I'm basically trying to figure out my options and pick the best one? So any feedback wbe appreciated.Thanks, Saber :dunno:
Seeker of Wisdom & Computer Knowledge :hypno:
Saber
Consulting Member
Consulting Member

Re: Mix and matching Hardrives?(IDE & Sata)

Postby Spock » Fri 2008 Jan 25 4:49

I have never mixed and matched as I've never been in the position to need to try it but, if the MB has both connectors available, I don't see why it wouldn't accept both.

If you install SATA drives, you may find that they will be required to be the boot drives but I'm just guessing there as I've yet to work with them.

Worst case scenario is that they don't work together and you will have to go with one or the other.

Let us know how it works out.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Mix and matching Hardrives?(IDE & Sata)

Postby Saber » Mon 2008 Jan 28 6:37

Seems to be no big deal, but if the MB is not rated for type II/300mb transfere rate it will only run at the 150 standard rate.I think I'll probably eventually replace the Pata's with all Sata's if just to get the full benefit out of Sata's and avoid any lag or conflicts? Anybody else out there who has experience or knowledge to add - please do? :hmm:
Seeker of Wisdom & Computer Knowledge :hypno:
Saber
Consulting Member
Consulting Member

Return to HW Troubleshooting