DVD RW Ativa went Ballistic?

An area to post about any hardware problems you have questions about.

Moderator: Hardware Moderators

DVD RW Ativa went Ballistic?

Postby Saber » Tue 2008 Jul 15 7:17

DVD RW Ativa went Ballistic? I was listening to Doug Segre (Local Musician) w/ earphones on my DVD drive and all of a sudden I noticed the spining noise seemed to be picking up volume and speed? Well I would have noticed sooner, but for some reason I chose to use the noise remover feature on my earphones? Anyways the next thing I know I hear what sounds like a gun shot? :ahh: Fortunately the few pieces that came out missed me, or I wouldn't be typing this now? I turned off and disconnected everything and took my DVD player apart to find what was left of my Limited ed. Doug S. at MD Hall Live CD? I took the time to piece the parts back together to make sure I got most if not all of the exploded CD out? However I found what appears to be a little black cylinder piece of DVD player in the pieces? So I'm a little hesitant to fire the baby up after cleaning and putting her back together? Anybody else ever experienced this or similiar enough experience to share some advice? CD's aren't cheap - or nothing for that matter anymore! Also how's everybody doing, it's been awhile? Saber

PS How do you do the spell check on the forum now? :scratch:
Seeker of Wisdom & Computer Knowledge :hypno:
Saber
Consulting Member
Consulting Member

Re: DVD RW Ativa went Ballistic?

Postby Spock » Tue 2008 Jul 15 10:07

Saber wrote:... I found what appears to be a little black cylinder piece of DVD player in the pieces? So I'm a little hesitant to fire the baby up after cleaning and putting her back together? Anybody else ever experienced this or similar enough experience to share some advice? CD's aren't cheap - or nothing for that matter anymore!

It sounds like the player is toast. I wouldn't trust it with any other CD/DVDs.

Saber wrote:Also how's everybody doing, it's been awhile? ...

It's been quiet. I haven't gotten the new students interested in the forum yet and most of the regulars are busy elsewhere.

Saber wrote:PS How do you do the spell check on the forum now?

There is no spell checker on the forum any more. I use Firefox now that has a Spell Check Add-on available.
Spock
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Saber » Mon 2008 Jul 21 4:52

Thanks Spock!
So far so good? Hoping just a low quality defective disk? It seems to be working fine now. Have played, recorded, etc. to try it out and seems to be working fine now. Yea, does not seem to have done any internal damage and I got all the debree out okay?
The black piece after careful investigation seems to be from something other than the DVD player. By the way can anybody verify or explain the warnings on not opening your DVD player? 1. Warrenty issue? 2. Laser exposure? 3. Danger of some form of radiation exposure? DVD doesn't hold a leathal capacitor charge does it? I did disconnect all power and avoided looking into or touching laser lens. More out of concern for knocking it out of line, in regard to touching besides just a quick shot of compressed air to clean?
The limited edition CD is toast though?

Except for glowing in the dark a little bit, but I think that goes back to another experience; I seem to be showing no ill effects for my attempts to salvage a fairly new DVD player just out of warrenty? :applaus1: Saber
Saber
Consulting Member
Consulting Member

Postby Coolbreeze » Wed 2008 Jul 23 7:22

Saber,
I am one of the Pre-Tech students and I want to know, how did the class help you.

P.S. Coolbreeze.
Coolbreeze
Member-in-Training
Member-in-Training

Postby Saber » Tue 2008 Sep 30 1:19

Hey Coolbreeze,
I just came across your ? and will answer thoughtfully ASAP! Saber
Saber
Consulting Member
Consulting Member